The importance of hydration – Dr. Nataniel Viuniski–Nutrologist Doctor-
At certain times of the year, when thermometers register higher temperatures and summer is a great stimulus to practice outdoor activities, hydration care must be even more intense, whether by drinking liquids or for skin care.
- We must have the habit of constantly drinking liquids, because when we feel thirsty, our nervous system is warning us that there has already been some degree of imbalance between the body’s need for water and the amount ingested.
- Many health professionals still suggest drinking 8 glasses of water a day, but this amount may vary depending on the temperature and humidity of the environment, the degree of physical activity and the characteristics of each individual. In addition, ingesting low-calorie liquids between main meals can also help with weight control, as it provides a feeling of satiety, helping to control hunger peaks.
- Hydration – From the outside in
- Hydration should not only be from the inside out, it should also occur from the outside in. How does this happen? Very simple. The skin is the largest organ in the human body and one of its main functions is to protect against external aggressions, such as pollution, climate change, in addition to excessive sun rays. To keep this tissue healthy and radiant, your cells must be properly hydrated, hence the importance of moisturizing creams and sunscreens.
- Therefore, take care of the hydration of your skin and body and enjoy the summer in good health!
- The Importance of Correct Hydration, Herbalife Brasil website article by: Dr. Nataniel Viuniski–Nutrologist Doctor
- Another Article:
- Hydration – find out how water helps
- The importance of hydration: learn how water helps the body to function properly
- Since we were little, we learn that water is essential for our health, but many times we neglect hydration, not only because it doesn’t make it It’s a habit, drinking water only when we’re thirsty, but also because we don’t know how it works in the body. Our body is composed of approximately 70% water and understanding some of its roles in maintaining our health can better clarify why we should not neglect hydration care.
- Water is the fundamental component of all cells in the body. It helps regulate body temperature and organ functioning, eliminates toxins, helps lubricate mucous membranes and, as a solvent, acts as a nutrient transport vehicle. The ideal, according to nutritionist Sandra Muttoni, from Grupo Hospitalar Conceição (GHC), linked to the Ministry of Health, is to consume at least two liters of liquid per day. Juices, teas and natural fruits can also be counted, but give preference to pure water. “It is important that this amount is ingested in the form of liquids and that it is water, as it has no other component interfering with our health. If we ingest juices, in addition to the liquid, we also ingest calories, sugars, and depending on the person’s health, this has a contraindication”, recommends the specialist.
- Hydration – Care with hydration
- Care with hydration should be redoubled in the dry season and on hot days. And despite the minimum recommendation of two liters, each person has a different need for hydration per day. “There are some calculations that are made, according to the amount of energy spent per day. For example, a person who spends two thousand calories a day needs one ml of liquid per calorie. And whenever we have a greater physical effort, we need to replace the liquid lost through sweat”, explains Sandra. The nutritionist points out that people with a specific disease and who need to have greater control over their fluid intake, should seek a specialist to indicate the ideal volume of fluid consumption.
- Pregnant women and women who are breastfeeding should intensify water consumption. “During pregnancy, it is indicated that the woman ingests plenty of fluids, as she has an increased amount of blood in circulation. The same thing happens during breastfeeding, she needs to increase fluid to improve lactation. So, both during pregnancy and breastfeeding, it is important that the supply of fluids is greater”, advises Sandra. The specialist also says about the importance of creating the habit of drinking water, as if you have the habit of having lunch, breakfast or dinner, and not just hydrating when you remember or when you are thirsty.
- Hydration – The idea that drinking
- The idea that drinking a glass of water on an empty stomach in the morning regulates the intestine is a myth, despite the fact that liquids play a fundamental role in its functioning. “Some people have the habit of ingesting cold water in the morning, and we know that a cold liquid helps with intestinal functioning, but it can be any type of liquid. There is no scientific proof that a glass of water on an empty stomach in the morning would facilitate the functioning of the intestine”, clarifies the nutritionist. “What is known is that hydration is fundamental for dietary fibers to play their role in the functioning of the intestine. Because the fibers, when they reach the intestine, absorb water. At that moment, they swell and increase the amount of fecal cake, leaving the stool softer, which facilitates evacuation.
- Source: Fabiana Conte / Health Agency