Chicken Enchilada Soup
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Makes: 12 cups
2 teaspoons oil
1 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium onion)
2 cloves of garlic, minced, or ½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1½ cups cooked navy beans or any type of beans (or a
15-ounce can, drained and rinsed; try any type)
3½ cups diced tomatoes (fresh or a 28-ounce can diced
4 cups chicken broth (any type)
1 cup tomato sauce (an 8-ounce can)
1 cup (two 4-ounce cans) chopped mild green chiles
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 cups chopped cooked chicken
½ cup chopped cilantro
1 cup shredded cheese
10 corn tortillas cut into strips, if desired
- Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the onion, garlic and
cumin, and sauté until the onion is softened but not
- Add the beans, tomatoes with juice, and chicken broth.
Heat to a boil. Reduce heat.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, chilies, oregano and chicken.
Simmer 15 minutes.
- When ready to serve, stir in the cilantro and cheese until
melted. Serve tortilla strips on the side as soup toppings,
Baked Tortilla Strips
- Preheat oven to 350
- Stack the tortillas and cut the
stack in half. Cut each halfstack into strips.
- Spread the strips on a baking
- Bake, tossing frequently, for
15 minutes or until crispy and
starting to lightly brown.
Adapted from cookbook