1. The name pumpkin comes from the Greek word ‘pepon’, which means ‘large melon’.
2. The largest pumpkin ever grown weighed 2,323 lbs, grown in 2014 by Beni Meier of Switzerland, breaking the world record.
3. According to Guinness World Records the fastest pumpkin carving was 16.47 seconds.
4. Pumpkins are a member of the gourd (Cucurbita) family.
5. Pumpkins are 90% water.
6. The seeds are said to reduce the chance of prostate cancer in men.
7. Pumpkins are believed to derive from Central America.
8. The pumpkin carving tradition comes from an ancient Celtic custom which was brought to America by European immigrants.
9. Pumpkins and pumpkin seeds were an extremely celebrated food of the Native American Indians. They treasured pumpkins for both their dietary and medicinal properties.
10. There are more than 50 varieties of pumpkins.