Make a batch of this breakfast burritos recipe and store in the freezer for a make ahead breakfast that makes mornings easy. Wholemeal tortillas are loaded with scrambled egg, peppers, cheese and sweet potato for a healthy kids breakfast idea that adults will love too. See method
- Makes 8
- 10 mins to prepare and 20 mins to cook
- 346 calories / serving
- 375g sweet potatoes, peeled and halved
- 125g light Cheddar, grated
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 15g fresh parsley, chopped
- 8 wholemeal tortilla wraps
- Boil the sweet potatoes for 8 mins. Drain and leave to steam-dry and cool a little. When cool enough to handle, grate the potatoes and put in a large bowl. Stir in the cheese.
- Meanwhile, heat half the oil in a nonstick frying pan. Add the pepper and stir-fry for 5-10 mins until softened. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan. Add the beaten egg and cook over a medium heat for 1-2 mins, stirring occasionally with a rubber spatula, to softly scramble. Season and set aside.
- Stir the peppers and parsley through the grated potato mixture. Divide between the wraps (in a vertical strip slightly to one side). Spoon the scrambled egg on top of each strip. Enclose the top and bottom ends, then roll up to enclose fully. Slice in half to serve.
Make ahead tip: Wrap the filled, rolled burritos in foil and allow to cool completely. Chill for 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. If frozen, defrost overnight in the fridge (in their foil). Once defrosted (or if cooking from chilled), bake the burritos in the foil in a preheated oven at gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C for 20 mins to fully heat through.
See more Breakfast recipes