There’s Grilled Cheese and there’s GREAT Grilled Cheese. Learn how to make the best Grilled Cheese Sandwich with a crisp, buttery exterior and gooey cheese center.
Try this combination of cheeses and the process for buttering and cooking the toast and you will be known for your Grilled Cheese Sandwiches. All you need is a Creamy Tomato Soup to dunk your sandwich into.
We love hot sandwiches from our Crispy Chicken Sandwich to Philly Cheesesteak. This Grilled Cheese recipe is well-loved by the whole family. Who can resist that impressive cheese pull? Watch the video tutorial and see how easy it is. All you need is a skillet and a spatula.
Grilled Cheese Video Tutorial
If you enjoyed this video, please subscribe to our Youtube Channel (P.S. Click the BELL icon so you can be the first to know when we post a new video).
What is Grilled Cheese?
Grilled cheese is a classic American sandwich that has been around since 1920. It is a hot sandwich made with buttered and toasted bread and originally filled with American cheese, but is now commonly made with one or more different cheeses.How To Make Creamy Shrimp Alfredo Pasta – Natasha’s Kitchen
- Bread – a thicker sliced bread such as texas toast works best
- Butter – use a generous 1/2 Tbsp of butter on each slice of bread. We use unsalted but any butter will work here.
- Cheese – we use a combination of sliced medium cheddar, gouda and Havarti cheese.
How to Make Grilled Cheese
- Butter the toast – spread 1/2 Tbsp butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Heat skillet – place a skillet over low to medium/low heat. A griddle should be at 275˚F. Immediately add 2 slices of bread with the butter-side-down.
- Add cheese – stack cheeses on one of the pieces of bread, cover with the other piece of toast and flip the sandwich over.
- Brown the toast – Continue sauteeing, flipping once, until both sides are golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Serve – cut the sandwich in half on the diagonal to serve.
How long to cook grilled cheese? Total cooking time for grilled cheese over low to medium/low heat is 6-7 minutes. That is enough time for the exterior to crisp and brown and allow the cheese to fully melt.
Tips for the Best Grilled Cheese
- Low heat – it takes a little patience to make the perfect grilled cheese. Keep your heat on low to give the cheese time to fully melt while the bread gets golden and crisp. If browning too fast, turn the heat down.
- Butter generously – the amount of butter may seem like a lot, but it is important for a crispy exterior.
- Use thick-sliced bread – we love using Texas toast because it’s sliced about twice as thick as normal sandwich bread. You want bread that is about 3/4″ to 1″ thick, but also avoid bread that is too thick or your cheese won’t melt properly. Using bread that is too thin will produce a flimsy and sometimes soggy sandwich.
What can I cook a grilled cheese on?
Grilled cheese is not ‘grilled’ as the name implies. It can be grilled, but you would want to keep the heat very low to avoid burning your bread before the cheese melts.What is the best cheese for grilled cheese?
We use a combination of medium cheddar, gouda, and Havarti cheeses, but you can use just one type of cheese. Monterey Jack or even American cheese also work.What’s better mayo or butter?
While mayo might seem more convenient to spread on the bread, it will make your sandwich taste like mayo, which is why we prefer butter. If you don’t have softened butter, check out our tutorial on how to soften butter in 5 minutes.
Serve Grilled Cheese with
We love to serve Grilled Cheese with Tomato Soup. The acidity and creaminess of tomato soup pair so well with a cheesy sandwich. You can also serve with:
- Marinara Sauce
- French Fries
- BLT Salad
- Potato Wedges
- Salad – especially fresh Green Salad
- Refrigerator Pickles
Reheating Grilled Cheese
You can make this sandwich ahead, just cool to room temperature then cover and refrigerate for 3 to 5 days. Ideally, you should reheat it the same way it was cooked.
- Skillet or Griddle – place on a skillet over medium-low heat, cover with lid or tent with foil, and heat until the cheese is melted in the center, flipping once. The lid traps the heat to melt the cheese. Remove the lid to crisp up the bread once the cheese is melted.
- Microwaving – our least favorite option because it can cause the bread to soften and get soggy.
More Sandwich Recipes
If you love this Grilled Cheese Sandwich then you won’t want to miss these popular sandwich recipes:
The Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich
5 from 7 votes
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 28 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Learn how to make the best Grilled Cheese sandwich with a crisp, buttery exterior and gooey cheese center.
Author: Natasha Kravchuk
Skill Level: Easy
Cost to Make: $8-$10
Keyword: grilled cheese, grilled cheese sandwich
Course: Lunch, Main Course
- 8 slices Texas toast or thick sliced sandwich bread
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 slices medium cheddar cheese
- 4 slices Gouda cheese
- 4 slices Havarti cheese
- Spread 1/2 Tbsp of butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Set a skillet over medium/low heat and place 2 slices of bread in the skillet with the butter-side-down.
- Stack cheeses on one piece of toast: cheddar, havarti, then gouda. Once the breads are golden brown, closed the sandwich with the crisp sides on the outside.
- Continue cooking until the bread is a rich golden brown, flipping once and press down lightly to help the bread stick to the cheese. Total cooking time should one 5-6 minutes. Keep the heat on medium low for the breads to toast slowly, giving your cheese a chance to fully melt and adhere to the bread.
- Once you see the cheese has melted and breads are browned, remove to a plate and cut in half diagonally to serve. Repeat with the next sandwich.
Welcome to my kitchen! I am Natasha, the blogger behind Natasha’s Kitchen (since 2009). My husband and I run this blog together and share only our best, family approved and tested recipes with YOU. Thanks for stopping by! We are so happy you’re here.