MOROCCAN CARROT SOUP INGREDIENTS:
5 cup (s) clear chicken stock
½ cup(s) diced onion
½ teaspoon(s) ground caraway seed
¾ teaspoon(s) cumin seed
1 tablespoon(s) minced fresh garlic
1 tablespoon(s) strained fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon(s) fresh lime juice
1 lb. peeled carrots, sliced in ¼ inch rounds
- Boil all ingredients until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Cool and drain, reserving the liquid.
- Puree the vegetables until completely smooth.
- Add the reserved liquid and chill.
- At serving time, garnish with minced coriander or parsley
BEDOUIN RED LENTIL SOUP WITH RAS EL HANOUT
INGREDIENTS: Serves 4 2 tablespoons olive oil 1 onion, diced 1-3 garlic cloves, minced 6 cups broth (chicken or vegetable) or water (I used 4 cups vegetable broth and 2 cups water) 1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes 1½ cups red lentils ½ cup brown lentils
ras el hanout (see recipe below) salt, to taste 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- In a large stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. When hot, add the onions and cook until translucent,
or 5-7 minutes. Add finely chopped garlic and stir for another 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, broth or water and lentils to the pot.
- Add salt and ras el hanout and stir.
- Bring to a gentle boil and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the lentils become tender.
- Stir in the cilantro and add more salt to taste, if needed.
- Ladle into bowls and serve. Enjoy!
RAS EL HANOUT INGREDIENTS:
• 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
• 2 teaspoons ground coriander
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 2 teaspoons ground ginger
• 2 teaspoons turmeric
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 2 teaspoons cinnamon
• 1½ teaspoons sugar
• 1½ teaspoons paprika
• 1½ teaspoons ground black pepper
• 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
• 1 teaspoon ground allspice
• ½ teaspoon ground cloves RAS EL HANOUT DIRECTIONS:
- Mix all the spices together.
- Store in an airtight container.
credit Bialy, Boguslaw